Saturday, January 1, 2011

Rosemary's Cornbread

 Anyone who cooks greens simply must have a good cornbread recipe. This recipe (submitted by Mrs. Dwight Andrus, Jr.) is from my threadbare original edition of the Talk About Good cookbook. I do not know the Rosemary to whom Mrs. Andrus attributed this recipe, but my husband Harvey has an aunt named Rosemary. I think of her every time I make this cornbread, so, in our house, Aunt Rosemary has actually become the referent for this recipe, whether she has ever cooked it or not.


1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1 stick butter, melted
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder

Mix all dry ingredients together in mixing bowl. Add milk, egg, and butter to dry mixture. Beat to blend. Grease 12x8 inch baking pan with cooking oil. (This makes a thin cornbread. I prefer using an 8x8 inch pan for a more cake-like cornbread.Sometimes I use this recipe for cornbread muffins, as well.) Pour corn meal batter into pan and bake about 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment